The Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturer’s Association (BIFMA) launched BIFMA Compliant, a branded conformance program, on March 1, 2021. BIFMA Compliant offers a publicly accessible registry of furniture products that conform to BIFMA safety and durability standards.
Prior to being added to the BIFMA Compliant program registry product testing must be conducted by an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited testing laboratory with the relevant BIFMA standards included on the Scope of Accreditation. Accreditation to these BIFMA standards is covered under the A2LA mechanical field of testing.
Organizations accredited through A2LA will meet the product testing requirement of the BIFMA Compliant program. The program includes the following standards:
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.1 General Purpose Office Chairs
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.11 General Purpose Large Occupant Office Chairs
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.4 Public & Lounge Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.41 Large Occupant Public & Lounge Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.5 Desk / Table Products
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.6 Panel Systems
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.9 Storage Units
- ANSI/BIFMA X6.1 Educational Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X6.4 Occasional-Use Seating
- ANSI/SOHO S6.5 Small Office/Home Office
A2LA Program Requirements
- ISO/IEC 17025 Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories
- For more information surrounding ISO/IEC 17025 requirements, please see R101 – General Requirements Accreditation of ISO-IEC 17025 Laboratories