The A2LA Inspection Body Accreditation Program offers accreditation for the inspection and conformity of a wide variety of processes and products.
A2LA recognizes the very close relationship between inspection, sampling, laboratory testing and measurement, yet understands that inspection encompasses a variety of activities not covered in laboratory accreditation. Inspection activities include examinations by qualified personnel of materials, products, components, assemblies, cargoes, and consignments using techniques that include the following:
- Visual examination
- Visual comparison with standards (e.g., color matching)
- Dimensional checks
- Examination using gauges and instruments
- Virtual evaluations
An inspection body may also participate in testing, measurement, or sampling and may apply for accreditation in multiple fields concurrently.
- ISO/IEC 17020 Requirements for the Operation of Various Types of Bodies Performing Inspection
- ILAC P15-Application of ISO/IEC 17020 for the Accreditation of Inspection Bodies.
- R301 – General Requirements – Accreditation of ISO-IEC 17020 Inspection Bodies
- Industry-specific requirements per program
Inspection subprograms have specific requirements for accreditation used in addition to ISO/IEC 17020 as a basis: