The A2LA Field Evaluation Body (FEB) Accreditation Program is for organizations that evaluate electrical equipment that is utilized, modified, one-of-a-kind, or limited production (that is not listed or field-labeled under a certification program) to ensure that it complies with applicable codes or standards.
When an Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) makes the determination that a piece of equipment in the field has been modified or refurbished or is not labeled appropriately they look to an approved FEB to evaluate the equipment, determine if the equipment complies with the applicable codes or standards, and then appropriately label the equipment. FEBs only perform electrical equipment evaluations at the request of the AHJ, and in order to receive this request, the FEB must meet the AHJ’s requirements for approval. While these requirements can vary between AHJs, accreditation is almost always an acceptable option.
While FEBs and Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs) both deal with product safety, an FEB works primarily in the field at the point of installation. An NRTL typically works at the point of manufacture instead. These are two different processes with different competency requirements.
A2LA has two options for accreditation under the FEB program to make the process as simple as possible. The decision of which program is best for your FEB will be based on the requirements of your AHJ and the recognitions you would like to have.
- Accreditation to ISO/IEC 17020, ILAC P15, and NFPA 790 and 791 falls under the A2LA ILAC Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) Scope of Recognition and offers global recognition to the FEB.
- Accreditation to NFPA 790 and 791 Only: This option is not covered under the ILAC MRA.
- NFPA 790 – Standard for Competency of Third-Party Field Evaluation Bodies
- NFPA 791 – Recommended Practice and Procedures for Unlabeled Electrical Equipment Evaluation.
- A2LA also offers accreditation to ISO/IEC 17020 Requirements for the Operation of Various Types of Bodies Performing Inspection
- ILAC P15-Application of ISO/IEC 17020 for the Accreditation of Inspection Bodies, in conjunction with NFPA 790 and 791.